- The name tomato came from the Aztec name "xitomatl" meaning "a plump fruit with a navel"
- There are twenty-five thousand varieties of tomatoes.
- The risk of getting prostate cancer is reduced by 21 to 43 percent by eating tomato and its derivatives like ketchup and tomato sauce more than twice a week.
- Tomatoes are filled with anti-oxidants including lycopene which helps in preventing risks of cancer.
- Tomatoes' lycopene content could also help in preventing Age related macular degeneration.
- Tomatoes have been proven to decrease bad cholesterol in the body.
Some Nutritional Content of 1 Cup of Raw Tomatoes
Manganese – 10.5%
Molybdenum – 12%
Potassium – 12.1%
Vitamin K – 17.7%
Vitamin A – 29.9%
Vitamin C – 38.1%
So are you going to skip that tomato? Or will you start eating this delicious, succulent and healthy fruit?
Yes, its a fruit not a vegetable.